Chicken and mushroom pies
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 small chicken, roasted
2 Tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
5 rashes bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
300g mixed mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp chopped thyme
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 pack ready rolled butter puff pastry
Milk, to brush pastry
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
2. Tear off the meat from your roast chicken. Aim for large chunks and discard the skin and bone. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook for a few minutes until softened.
4. Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes or so, until lightly coloured. Stir in the flour, and cook for another minute.
5. Gradually add the milk and cream. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Stir in the chicken and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Roll out the pastry and cut 4 circles big enough to cover 4 small pie dishes (we used these Le Creuset Mini Pie Dishes). Divide the chicken mixture between the dishes. Lift the pastry onto the pies, trimming off any excess. Press down and crimp the edges with a fork. Cut a couple of small slits in the pastry to let out the steam and brush all over with milk or beaten egg.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the pastry is crisp and golden brown.
Taste like home?