How to make falafel
Served in mini pita breads with a minty cucumber and yoghurt dressing, they make the perfect addition to your picnic basket.
Ingredients (makes approximately 20 falafels):
1 can (400g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 tbsp flour
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend together well.
3. Shape the mixture into small balls, each approximately 3cm in diameter, and space out evenly on a greased baking tray. Lightly brush with olive oil.
4. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, keeping an eye on them and turning if necessary.
These falafels work brilliantly with a mint cucumber and yoghurt dressing.
Ingredients for the dressing:
300ml Greek yoghurt
The juice of 1 lime
1 cucumber, grated, squeezed of excess liquid and drained on paper towel
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Combine the yoghurt and lime juice in a bowl and whisk together using a fork.
2. Add the cucumber, garlic and mint and mix thoroughly. Season to taste with the salt and black pepper.
3. Cover with Cling wrap and chill in the fridge for an hour before serving.
To serve, warm 10 pita breads and cut them open to form little pockets. Fill each pocket with some crisp lettuce and two falafels and drizzle with your minty cucumber dressing.
For the ultimate picnic crowd-pleaser, place your pita pockets in small paper packets and package in picnic-friendly little boxes, secured with string.
With Spring in the air, now’s the perfect time to up your picnic game.
Thanks to Karen Grandcourt for the pics.