Delicious roasted tomato soup
Making this soup in a Magimix is the easiest thing. If you don’t yet have one of these beauties, you can still make these winning recipes with your blender or food processor of choice.
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1kg tomatoes, halved length-ways – choose different varieties if you can
2 Tbsp olive oil
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, finely shredded
1 large red onion, finely chopped
1 cup chicken stock
Fresh chilli, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste
Crispy bacon and small fresh basil leaves, to serve
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180°C.
2. Place your tomatoes onto a baking tray or oven-proof dish and drizzle with half the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 40 minutes or until the tomatoes are tender.
3. Remove the tomatoes from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add your onion and cook, stirring, for approximately 3 minutes or until soft.
5. Add your tomatoes, garlic and chilli and cook for a minute or two until fragrant.
6. Add your stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
7. Allow to cool slightly and blend until smooth.
8. Re-heat before serving and garnish with fresh basil and crispy bacon pieces.
If you want to add a more intense basil flavour you can always add a few leaves to the blending process and save a few for garnishing. If you add too many in, it might make the soup go slightly brown, so half in the soup and half for garnishing is the best of both worlds.
This hearty soup was devoured with gusto in our test kitchen (check it out). So trust us on it being a good one for the recipe books and get blitzing.