Mascarpone, tomato and pesto hearts
Try this very easy, incredibly tasty recipe for your next cocktail party or treat your Dad this Father’s day. Download print-friendly version.
Ingredients (makes 24 hearts):
375g ready-rolled puff pastry
200g punnet of baby Rosa tomatoes, thinly sliced
130g pesto (I highly recommend that you use Pesto Princess’s wonderful Olive and Aubergine pesto – it is seriously delicious and perfect for this recipe)
130g mascarpone cheese
Fresh basil leaves to garnish
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200˚C.
2. Roll the pastry out on a lightly floured surface to 2mm thickness. Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut into hearts.
3. Place the hearts onto a greased baking tray and lightly prick with a fork. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes (until golden and well-risen).
4. Remove the hearts from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Once cool, gently press the pastries down with your fingers (focus on the centre, so as to leave a slightly raised border).
5. Spread about half a teaspoon of pesto on each heart, top with a dollop of mascarpone and finish off with a few slices of tomato.
6. Place the hearts back in the oven and bake for a further 10 minutes (until the tomatoes are cooked through and the mascarpone has melted).
7. Garnish with a fresh basil leaf and serve!
Optional: sprinkle some freshly-grated parmesan on top of the tomatoes before baking for added flavour.
Happy heart making to you all.