How to make pistachio ice cream
Ice cream is one of those simple delights that will never go out of fashion or favour. That’s not to say a new flavour isn’t welcome every so often. Enter pistachios. Spring in a nut… shell. Keen to try pistachio ice cream? Great, green and nutty, here’s how to make it.
225g unsalted, shelled pistachio nuts
110g caster sugar
8 large egg yolks
2 Tbsp custard powder
It is possible to make ice cream without an ice cream machine but it does take more time and patience. See note below.
We served our ice cream in these beautiful Crush Cups.
1. In a food processor, grind your pistachio nuts down to a fine powder.
2. Pour the cream and milk into a medium-sized saucepan along with the finely ground pistachios and gently heat to just below boiling point.
3. With your pistachio and cream mixture heating on the stove, beat together the egg yolks, sugar and custard powder until smooth.
4. Now whisk the pistachio cream mixture into the eggy custard mixture.
5. Return the tasty green pistachio custard to the pan and continue to whisk over a medium heat until it has thickened. It should just be reaching boiling point.
6. Pour the custard into a bowl and allow to cool. Place half the mixture into the ice-cream maker and freeze-churn for about 30 minutes, until it has the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
Note: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, chill your ice cream mixture in the fridge for an hour or so. Place in a freeze-able container in the freezer. After half an hour or so, check it and stir it vigorously (this is to prevent hard ice crystals from forming). Repeat this process three times or until your ice cream is smooth.
7. Transfer it to a plastic container and place in the freezer. Repeat with the other half of the mixture.